Gazania Daisies




Beautiful Gazania Daisies with yellow center outlined in brown with orange center petals and yellow continuing to the edges.

Gazania Daisies

I love this bright beautiful gazania daisy perennial plant in my garden. I purchased a six pack of these flowers and only one survived the many snails and slugs in my garden. This was the one! Now all the many mounds I have in my garden of gazania daisies are from this one gorgeous mounding plant with long slender deep green leaves and bright orange-yellow flowers with a deep brown emphasis around the eye of the flower. These gazania daisies produce flowers through the spring well into autumn for me to enjoy. Since they are perennials they come back yearly to share their beauty. You can create more mounds of these beauties by dividing and transplanting, while they are dormant, from late fall through early spring.


Yellow orange gazania daisies with long slender green stems in the sun light.

Gazania Daisies Love the Sun!

🌞 Sun Needs
Gazania daisies, also referred to as treasure flowers and African daisies love the sun. My mounds of daisies get the sun from mid-morning to about four o'clock in the afternoon. When it gets cloudy or as night falls the flowers begin to close up with all their petals coming close together with peaks at the top as they reach toward the sky.    

  Gazania Daisies Closing as the Sun Sets

💧Water and Soil Needs
A gazania plant is a hardy plant. After established in your garden, the gazania does not require as much water as some annuals and perennials do and is considered a drought tolerant plant. It does thrives in a soil that drains well, but can sometimes tolerate soils that other plants find hard to grow in. 


A Gazania plant mound with long slender green leaves

Dividing and Transplanting a Gazania

I started with one surviving gazania plant and now I now have nine gazania mounds. When my Gazania mounds are large enough and stop flowering, in late autumn and through winter, I divide my healthy looking plants to propagate in other areas of my garden.


A Gazania mound with a blue handled hand shovel used to determine the center of the mound.

Finding the Center of the Gazania Mound

To transplant this plant I need to find the center of the gazania mound and divide in the middle. Using a hand shovel, work your way through the leaves and find the center of the mound. Separate the leaves to one side or the other, equally dividing the two sides of the plant. 


Hand shovel pointing straight down the middle of a Gazania mound to begin to separate it into two.

Cut Down Through the Middle

Take your hand shovel and point it straight down the middle of the gazania mound and begin to separate the plant roots by breaking through the roots. Some roots will get cut, but that's okay if a few of them do. After you cut through the middle a little you can change to a larger shovel to dig down deeper to get all the roots and extra soil too.


Large shovel positioned in the center of the Gazania mound to cut and separate the plant.

Larger Shovel Positioned in the Center of the Mound


Shovel being pushed down with foot through plant to divide it in two.

  Push Down on Shovel and Wiggle

Using larger shovel push down with your foot far enough so you are past the roots and in deeper soil. Wiggle the shovel back and forth to loosen any of the roots so they will come out nicely. Having extra surrounding dirt come up with the plant mound is always a good thing in providing protection for the roots.



Shovel scooping out loosened half of Gazania mound.

Scooping out the Mound

 

A successful removal of one half of the Gazania mound

Success!

 Now we have a successful removal of half of the gazania mound. 


Half removed Gazania mound pictured with scissors point to middle section of where plant can be divided again.

Dividing Again

As you can see here, this half of the mound is large enough to safely divide in half again. So now I have two quarter sections that I can transplant to two other areas of my garden.


Removed Gazania mound divided again.

Mounds Divided

Now you can transplant these two sections of this gazania daisy in your garden. Find an area that gets about 6 hours of sun a day and add soil amendments if needed. Remember to water well until your plant gets fully established in its root system. 


Remaining Gazania mound that remains in soil is given added soil around area that other half was removed.

Fill Remaining Plant with Good Soil


Remember to add some good replacement soil in the area where the other half of the gazania mound was removed so the original plant can begin to spread to the area of which it was removed.


Combo color of gazania flowers with white, yellow and brown colors on each flower.
Orange gazania flowers on a mound of gazania leaves.
Yellow gazania flowers on a mound of gazania leaves.Beautiful salmon-pink gazania flowers on a mound of its leaves.

More Gazania Colors

Here are some pictures of other colors of gazania flowers that I found along the parkway in my neighborhood.

Featuring nine separate pictures of gazania mounds in my garden; some with flowers and some without.
A mound of gazania in my garden with two orange flowers.A mound of gazania with no flowers in my garden.
A gazania mound in my backyard.A mound of gazania with many orange/yellowish flowers in my backyard.A mound of gazania with four orange flowers in my backyard.

A mound of gazania with two orange flowers right next to each other.

My Nine Mounds of Gazania

Here are nine mounds of gazania (from my one mound that survived) I now have in my garden. They are all thriving pretty well except for the one in the last picture. This one is pretty scrawny as it ended up under a lantana plant that grew over it. I will keep an eye on it and transplant if necessary when the weather cools a little. I like to give all my plants a good try at maturing. I plan to divided some of these larger plants in the fall when the weather cools and the plants are not flowering any longer for the season.


A large bright orange gazania flower with leaves in background.

Enjoy the Beauty of the Gazania Flower!

Comments